Monday, December 23, 2013

.. of Style Inspiration


Years ago I set out to make a blanket out of cashmere. Never having worked with cashmere thread I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. Needless to say it breaks really easily. I mean one tiny tug and it comes apart in your hand. So knitting with it was damn near impossible. And crocheting was out of the question because the yarn was so thin. My solution was to make tiny squares and eventually sew the squares together to make a blanket. I ending up making about 6 squares and gave up. I have a photo of the hubs pretend sleeping under a tiny square as if it were a full size blanket, generally being a dick, but I'm not allowed to show it...

Flash forward to the present moment and, like childbirth, I have forgotten my mistake the pain and I'm looking to try again. But this time, my ambition and confidence shattered by old age, I am going to stick to a scarf. I've also discovered that using two skeins at once makes most tasks faster and easier. Faster because each stitch is twice as large as it would have been, and easier because you can combine cashmere with a more sturdy substance, such as wool. The combination of threads can also result in a beautiful ombre effect, one I'll show you when I finish my current project. I've found purl soho to be an excellent resource for novelty yarn. They're a little pricey but worth it.

Feel free to browse the site since Christmas is in 2 days so the pressure is officially off to actually produce something that looks like a handmade present. It's too late people... let it go. No. Don't cry...

via handcraftedinvirginia